Monday, March 15, 2010

Pledge 25: All Ages Participate!

Dear Pledge 25:
I heard about the Pledge 25 program (for Rabbi Fishman) and I wanted to participate in this.

One day at recess I saw my friends talking. So I went over to them and it turns out they were talking about helping Haiti and helping Haiti is a very good way to fill in my 25 hours to pledge 25. So I said “I can help you.” They said “yes we need help.” So at lunch we talked about it.

Joey Shoyer (one of the friends) said we should do a raffle. I said we should do a guessing sort of thing. Ethan Jack (another friend) said we should put a bunch of M&Ms in a jar so I said, “I will buy the jar, I will buy the M&Ms, I will ask permission from the principle.” So basically the project was then under my control. I was the leader, which put a bit of pressure on me. Then the next day I was told by my teacher that I could only do my project with the 3rd and 4th grades so I was a bit upset, but it was for the best. I was also told that only my class could do this, which meant that Joey and Ethan would not be able to participate in my project but I still want to give them credit for their help last week.

My project started when I went to the 3rd grade during my recess and their lunch. I went to the 4th grade during my lunch. I thought I would raise about $50, but I got $200! How crazy is that?

I am donating all of the money to Haiti; specifically the American Jewish World Service because I like that the American Jewish World Service gives the money directly to Haiti unlike Doctors without Borders. They give to anybody in need which is a great deed, don’t get me wrong, but not what I wanted to do.

I am very proud of this project because I was a leader (with many helpers including Joey, Ethan and my class). I was a leader of fundraiser that raised $200 for the Haitian people.

Jonathan Israel, 4th Grade

2 comments:

  1. Jonathan is my grandson, and his grandmother and I are unbelievably proud of Jonathan and his hard work on behalf of this project.
    Rarely is someone so young involved in a difficult project like this. I know he will continue to do special things for his community, his shul, and his world!
    Allen Israel
    Memphis, Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jonathan! Your project is very inspiring.

    Kenny Jeruchim and Kayla Drogosz

    ReplyDelete